Event Information

Spectator Entry Fees:     

               One Day Pass $15    

               Two Day Pass $25 .... under 14yrs free

      Racing begins at 8.30am on both days, finishing at 4.30pm on Saturday and 3.00pm on Sunday.

       

 

Click here for information about the area and accommodation during the Wondai Street Sprints. Particular thanks to the Wondai  Colonial Motel and the Burke and Wills Motel Kingaroy for the support they have given.

Powered campsites are available at the Showgrounds. Click on this link for further information.

Hideway Apartment in Wondai - 0741690301 or 0413305524

Wondai Accommodation Units and Villas are now open for business and we have 10 single rooms. 2 rooms with bunks. 8 rooms with double beds. All rooms have ensuites, toaster and jug. Smart TV and wifi. There are 2 studio villas, 3x 1 bedroom Villas and 3x3 bedroom villas capable of sleeping up to 8 persons. All have full cooking facilities and are self contained. Our website is www.wondaiaccommodationunitsandvillas and our phone number is 0741690593. Situated at 9-17 Hodge Street, Wondai. There is ample parking facilities as we are situated on 10 acres and within one km of the race track. Our email address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

John Woodward.

 

 Are you interested in bringing a trade or merchandise stall to this event.

If so please download the application form here and email it to the event secretary at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

Will Hagon   has been a motor racing commentator in England and Australia for more than 40 years and has agreed to be the commentator at the Wondai Street Sprints in 2019.

TRAPNELL CREATIONS    will be the official photographers for the weekend. Go to their site to order photos of your favourite car.

 

 

 

YouTube Competitors at the Wondai Street Sprints last year.

Crooked Garage

 

 

 

WHITEY
 
1912 Overland
 
Currently owned by Graham and Marjorie Crittenden of Kingaroy, Whitey was recently refurbished by family members to celebrate the 100th anniversary of its Australian Speed attempt on the beach at Southport in 1916. This famous car was rescued in the early 1960’s and restored by the Guthrie family. The wreck had fallen to an ignoble fate of being used by a farmer for pulling stumps because of the great engine power. Owned by current owners since 1966, Whitey was refurbished last year to its former glory through information gained from historical documents and advice from the original riding mechanic Mr Wally Webb (dec). Whitey was owned and raced by Mr Fred Z Eager during its racing period.
 V 0B9E  V 7A61  V 61BE

Notable achievements..

25th Dec 1916   Attempted Australian Speed Record Main Beach Southport. Flying ½ mile in 22 sec at 81.8 miles per hour
(Beaten by a 1916 6cyl Studebaker by 3/5 sec)
 
1916,1917,1918 winner Mt Cootha Hill Climbs
 
5th July 1918 Record run Brisbane to Toowoomba 2 hr 7 ½ min
(By this time Whitey had 140,000 miles on the clock)
 
19th Oct 1918   Record run Sydney to Brisbane 621.5 miles in 19 Hours 38 ½ min
(This record stood for 4 years and bettering the previous record by nearly 6 ½ hours )

Whitey is a very historical Queensland car not only for it’s records but for being a survivor from the very early years of motor sport in Queensland.
 
See old WHITEY on display at the 2019 Wondai Street Sprints.
 

 

The story of our 1917 Hudson

Super Six “Special”

Inspired by a love of speed, history and a passion for real race cars, this story begins in 1991 on a 40 degree day in Western Victoria. It was there that Quentin Sykes retrieved this Hudson from a farmer’s paddock and brought it all home to the suburb of Ferny Creek located east of Melbourne nestled deep in the Dandenong Rangers.

The hours disappeared planning, sourcing, calculating and experimenting. Ongoing reading, researching and countless conversations with many others. Then the hard work truly began. Sorting, stripping and reclaiming hundreds of parts both large & small with the wonderful assistance of molasses baths and a great deal of elbow grease. The project evolved and the Hudson began to emerge from the piles of rusty metal and iron.

Over the next 24 months the Hudson was transformed into the racecar you see today. Although vehicles like this are an indefinite work in progress, the bulk of what you see was achieved in the first two year period and the Hudson drove out of the garage under its own steam on the 12th April 1993. The body was entirely remanufactured as closely and as accurately as possible in line with the four original Hudson racecars built in 1917 for the race circuit around the USA at the time. This included the Indianapolis 500 where the Hudson’s finished the year in 8th position outright in 1919.

The engine is an original 1917 Hudson Super Six side valve with its capacity being 289ci. A custom Head Assembly was engineered and manufactured by Ruggero Giannini to improve a number of aspects of the performance and reliability of the engine. A full pressure oil system was also developed again improving the performance & reliability of this engine. Twin era correct Hudson carburetors were sourced (rare find) and installed as per the Hudson factory for their four “specials” in the day.

Fact to note – In 1917 Hudson were the first Motor Company to introduce the “counter balanced” crankshaft. Many other manufacturers followed their lead within a 12 month period. Hudson was also one of the first to introduce a distributor when most others at the time were still utilizing a magneto.

The gearbox is also an original 1917 Hudson lovingly and fully rebuilt. Holinger Engineering in Victoria were engaged to remanufacture a full set of gears while calculating and manufacturing a wider ratio for both 1st and 2nd gear.

Although the original Hudson rear axle has been removed and replaced with a Ford 9” housing & center, a great deal of engineering has taken place to maintain both the era correct Hudson rear axles and hub assemblies. This has allowed us to accommodate the correct wheel assemblies for the project.

In 1917 this Hudson had rear brakes only, forgoing any form of front wheel braking. For safety reasons our Hudson front axle has therefore been removed into storage and a Mercedes Benz front I-Beam axle has been installed from the same era. This enables the installation of front brakes. Each of the front brake drums were sand cast and machined as a “one off” for this project and they do function very well as per design.

Every aspect of this 1917 Hudson build has been well engineered and lovingly implemented with great attention to detail. This has led to the creation of a very loyal and accurate tribute to one of the four original Hudson Specials manufactured by the Motor Company in 1917. Only one of the original Hudson racecars is known to still exist and this car may be found in the Samsung Transportation Museum, near Seoul in South Korea to this day.

There are only a very small handful of 1917 Hudson Super Six Special “recreations” around the globe and this Hudson here is the only known example in Australia. All others tend to be located in England & the USA where they may be seen in attendance at historic race circuits including Goodwood Motor Circuit situated near Chichester, West Sussex, close to the south coast of England.

 

Hudson 

On display at the 2019 Wondai Sprints